The Meatland/Gates Garage property is located in the downtown central business district of Bellows Falls. (PPF - Meatland/Gates Garage, 2/8/05) The property is located in the downtown central business district of Bellows Falls. (PPF attached to A03 Final Report, 10/1/03-9/30/06) The owner of the site asked that the corrective action planning for the site be stopped in Spring 2008. Soon after he was deployed to Iraq and has recently returned (April 2009). He is currently working on his issues with the State and the Corrective Action Plan.
Former Use: The property consists of one parcel. There is a multiple story building on property that occupies the majority of the lot. The building was constructed circa 1900 and is in fair to poor condition. Heavy vegetation consisting of trees and shrubs cover the remaining portion. The lot slopes steeply to the east to an active railroad line, an abandonned parcel and ultimately the Connecticut River. The first known uses of the building on the property dates back to the 1906 Sanborn Fire Maps which indicated an auto repair garage. By 1920, a printing shop operated out of the second floor with the auto garage use also continuing. Historical records indicate that in 1955, the building was used as a grocery store. Other business operations run out of the building include a pub, Laundromat, the Elks Club, and a toy railroad/race car shop.