Two underground storage tanks were removed in 1992, and an environmental site assessment related to those tanks was completed. Both soil and shallow groundwater contamination were discovered, and monitoring wells were installed. The DEC Sites Management Section SMS issued a Site Management Activity Completed SMAC for the property, and the Town was permitted to abandon the monitoring wells in 1994. An abandoned rail line borders the property and has been proposed for redevelopment into a bicycle path. This property is located in a residential area and has a high potential for redevelopment into housing when the municipal garage is relocated. PPF- Swanton Town Garage, 1/15/05 Future use anticipated as a municipal swimming pool or a residential development. PPF attached to QR 12, 7/1/06-9/30/06
Former Use: Prior to 1951, this property was used included agricultural hay production and coal distribution. Since 1951, it has been used as a municipal highway garage.