The Gonic Sawmill Dam is slated for removed by the NHDES' Coastal Program
Former Use: The Site is comprised of approximately 27.97 acres across two of the three lots in the Gonic Mills Complex. Lot 1 (5.27 acres) is improved with the original Gonic Mill building, constructed sometime prior to 1951. The Site parcels (Lot 2, 19.64 acres, and Lot 3, 8.33 acres) are separated by the Cocheco River which runs generally north to south. Based on 2018 aerial imagery and prior environmental reports, both lots are primarily woodland, with the exception of a paved parking lot in the northern portion of Lot 2. No buildings are currently located at the Site; however, building debris (e.g., metal, glass, and brick) and concrete/brick foundations remain on Lot 3 from a former sawmill that burned down circa 1942. In addition, evidence of former dumping activities that reportedly occurred between the 1950s and 1960s can be observed in the general center of Lot 3, centered around the northern portion of the former power canal that runs from north to south through the general center of the parcel. An unpaved road is located on the western side of Lot 2 running from north to south leading to a cleared area in the southwest portion of the parcel. Lot 2 has historically remained undeveloped with the exception of the paved parking lot that was constructed sometime prior to 1951, likely to support expansion of the adjacent Gonic Mill operations on Lot 1. The GD was constructed in 1935, also to support Gonic Mill operations on Lot 1.