Subject Browse

This page provides access to TRI Q&As, which are categorized here by subjects, sub-categories, then keywords. To expand the subject to sub-category and keywords, click the triangle next to each subject and sub-category.
What is CDX?
EPA's Central Data Exchange (CDX) is the Agency's point of entry on the Internet-based Environmental Information Exchange Network (Exchange Network) for environmental data exchanges. CDX provides the capability for states, tribes, and facilities to gain access to their data through the use of Web services. CDX enables EPA to work with stakeholders -- including state, tribal, and local governments and regulated industries -- to facilitate the electronic submission of data to the Agency via the Internet. EPCRA Section 313 covered facilities access TRI-MEweb through CDX to submit annual toxic chemical release reports to EPA and their state or tribe. You can access the electronic reporting site at:
What is TRI-MEweb?
The Electronic Reporting Rule requires facilities to submit, revise, and withdraw non-trade secret TRI forms electronically via TRI-MEweb, a web-based reporting application for electronic filing of TRI Form R and Form A Certification Statement reports. The TRI-MEweb application is hosted in EPA's Central Data Exchange (CDX) system. Users must access, create, and load facility accounts in TRI-MEweb to begin reporting. TRI reporting requires two user roles to be created in CDX: a preparer role and a certifying official role. Preparers and certifying officials must register for the application at
To learn more about TRI-MEweb, please visit
Where can I learn more about TRI-MEweb?
The TRI Program has developed a series of TRI-MEweb resources, including online tutorials to assist facilities with using the TRI application, as well as two helpdesks. The TRI-MEweb online tutorials can be found on TRI’s website at TRI-MEweb also has links to tutorials, as well as a user guide and link to the CDX Helpdesk Chat. TRI has hotlines to provide CDX/TRI-MEweb technical support and reporting guidance to reporting facilities: TRI Information Center Hotline [(800) 424-9346 - select option 3] and CDX Help Desk (888) 890-1995.
Will facilities be able to print paper copies of reports using TRI-MEweb?
The Electronic Reporting Rule, effective January 21, 2014, requires facilities to submit, revise, and withdraw non-trade secret TRI forms electronically via TRI-MEweb application. Facilities cannot use TRI-MEweb to print federal paper submissions to submit to EPA. However, TRI-MEweb does allow facilities to print a copy of the submitted TRI form for recordkeeping purposes (this form is clearly marked as not allowed to be filed manually to EPA).
Facilities may print a copy of a Form R or Form A Certification Statement for recordkeeping purposes via the “Submission History” tab. The “Submission Summary” page will display only the forms which have been certified and submitted to EPA. Select “View Reports” to access your Copy of Record of your Form R or Form A Certification Statement.
Who can I contact if I need to troubleshoot a CDX or TRI-MEweb technical issue?
Users may request assistance from the CDX hotline on issues like how to obtain access keys, load facility accounts, and verify status of submissions in TRI-MEweb. Users may also request assistance from the CDX helpdesk to reset passwords, address issues with the CDX registration process, and add the TRI-MEweb application to the CDX user account. These technical application issues can be resolved if you can contact the CDX hotline at (888) 890-1995.
I am having problems opening the CDX login webpage to launch TRI-MEweb.
If the CDX login webpage is down for a legitimate reason (i.e., maintenance, system update), an announcement should be posted on the main CDX login webpage and on the TRI website. However, if the CDX login webpage is operational, but the webpage appears broken on your computer, you should check to ensure that your browser’s TLS 1.0 security setting is enabled.
How do I add the certifier role for TRI-MEweb to my CDX user account?
To add the TRI-MEweb Certifying Official role to an existing CDX user account, follow these steps:
1.) Log in to your CDX account at to open your MyCDX account page and click on ;Manage Your Program Services; link.
2.) Under TRI-MEweb, request a new role by selecting and adding “certifying official.”
3.) Verify your identity. This is either done online by correctly answering personal identifying information or by printing, signing, and mailing in a paper Electronic Signature Agreement (ESA) form to EPA’s Data Processing Center (DPC). Completing the online process will provide you immediate access to TRI-MEweb. If you submit a paper ESA then the TRI-MEweb link will remain deactivated and inaccessible until the ESA is processed and approved by the DPC.
Additional information is available in a series of TRI-MEweb tutorials available on the TRI website at
How can a preparer or certifying official confirm within TRI-MEweb that the Electronic Signature Agreement (ESA) has been received and processed for approval?
A preparer or certifying official can check the status of an ESA on TRI-MEweb. All facilities that have been added to TRI-MEweb by the preparer are on the “Manage Facilities” page under the “Facility Management” tab. The “ESA Status” column will indicate each person who has been authorized to access that facility’s account through the “View User” link:
• If the status is “Sign CDX ESA”, the facility’s certifying official has not processed the ESA form.
• If the status is “CDX ESA Pending Approval,” then the certifying official has printed their ESA form, but it is on its way via postal mail to the Data Processing Center or is still being processed.
• If the status is “Sign TRIFID Signature Agreement,” then the new certifying official has an approved ESA form but has neither associated the TRI Facility Identification number (TRIFID) nor provided their job title in TRI-MEweb.
A preparer or certifying official may also contact the TRI Data Processing Center at (703) 227-7644 to verify the status of an ESA. The certifying official should also verify that the form was properly mailed to the DPC’s current address, which is available under the “Contact Us” page on the TRI website.
Certifying officials with an approved CDX ESA must complete a TRI Facility Identification number (TRIFID) Signature Agreement for each facility for which they will certify TRI forms in TRI-MEweb. If the company name changes, does the certifying official have to update the TRIFID Signature Agreement?
A TRIFID Signature Agreement authorizes a certifying official to represent a facility that is submitting TRI data to EPA under a specific TRIFID. Therefore, certifying officials with an approved ESA would only need to submit a new TRIFID Signature Agreement if they are going to certify TRI forms for an additional facility. A change in company name, mailing address, phone number, job title, or e-mail address would not require an update to the TRIFID Signature Agreement, if the facility's TRIFID remains the same and has not changed its physical location.
May multiple certifying officials certify and submit forms for individual forms and/or establishments?
A unique certifying official can certify pending forms for each form and/or establishment. In addition, the same certifying official may submit pending forms for all of the forms and/or establishments.
After a preparer has completed a reporting form, the preparer identifies a certifying official. The preparer should select the appropriate certifying official for the form from a list of certifying officials associated with the facility. If the appropriate certifying official is not listed, TRI-MEweb will allow the preparer to add a certifying official.
Why does EPA require electronic submission of non-trade secret TRI forms?
The Government Paperwork Elimination Act allows Federal agencies to provide for electronic submissions and the use of electronic signatures, when practicable. Similarly, EPA's Cross-Media Electronic Reporting Regulation (CROMERR) states that any requirement to submit a report directly to EPA can be satisfied with an electronic submission that meets certain conditions, once the agency publishes a notice that electronic document submission is available for that requirement.
On August 27, 2013, EPA finalized a rule requiring facilities to report non-trade secret TRI forms using software developed by the Agency (78 FR 52860). Currently, EPA provides TRI-MEweb as the online application for submitting TRI reporting forms electronically. Widespread use of TRI-MEweb improves the quality and accuracy of TRI data and allows EPA to get the data to the public faster.
Further information about this rule is available:
How do I certify TRI forms prepared via TRI-MEweb?
Newly designated certifying officials must create a new Central Data Exchange (CDX) account, add TRI-MEweb to their CDX account, and complete an Electronic Signature Agreement (ESA) and a TRI Facility Identification number (TRIFID) Signature Agreement before any pending forms can be certified. The “Pending Signature” section in TRI-MEweb indicates the facilities for which a certifying official must sign a TRIFID Signature Agreement by following the prompts on TRI-MEweb. Certifying officials may also add additional TRI facilities by clicking on the “Add Facility” button.

Returning certifying officials will receive an email from CDX when a form has been submitted and requires their certification.
Before certifying pending forms, the certifying official can view the error reports through the “Summary Reports” page. If the certifying official detects that a correction is needed on the form, the certifying official may return the form to the preparer. Note that returning a submission does not remove the data from TRI-MEweb; this just allows the preparer to make any corrections and resubmit the form for certification. Otherwise, the certifying official may certify and submit the form to EPA. A notification will be sent from CDX to the certifying official's registered e-mail account confirming that the form’s certification has been completed, ...
If a facility previously submitted a TRI reporting form but no longer meets the applicability criteria (e.g., the facility closed and did not exceed activity thresholds), how does the facility notify EPA that the facility is no longer subject to TRI?
The facility can use TRI-MEweb to indicate that your facility will no longer be reporting to TRI, or will not be submitting a form for one or more specific TRI-listed chemicals for the current reporting year. The facility can submit this information without filing a TRI form or certifying this information. In TRI-MEweb’s “Facilities Management” page, the “Not Reporting?” option can indicate if the facility will not be submitting one or more TRI reporting forms for the current reporting year.
Alternatively, facilities may submit an e-mail to the TRI Data Processing Center (DPC). The e-mail should include the facility name; TRI facility identification number (TRIFID); facility address; technical contact name and telephone number; and the reason why the facility is not submitting a TRI reporting form (e.g., failed to trigger a reporting threshold) or is no longer subject to TRI (e.g., facility closed, process modifications, production changes, product elimination or substitution). If the facility closed, the e-mail should also specify the date of closure.
Contact information for the TRI DPC is available here:
A facility must complete and submit a TRI report if it has 10 or more full time employee equivalents; is included in a covered North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code; and exceeds the manufacturing, processing, or otherwise use threshold under EPCRA Section 313. If a facility reduces the amount of a TRI toxic chemical that it manufactures, processes, or otherwise uses below the relevant chemical activity threshold through source reduction, is there a way for the facility to highlight this reduction?
The facility may voluntarily choose to report the source reduction without filing a Form R by using TRI-MEweb’s “Not Reporting?” feature. If the facility fell below the reporting threshold for one or more chemicals due to source reduction, the facility can provide comments about its source reduction activities when completing this section. The public will be able to access this information using the TRI Pollution Prevention Tool.
Additional information about pollution prevention and TRI is available at:
How do I withdraw my data using TRI-MEweb?
Facilities that filed a TRI Form R or Form A Certification Statement may submit their requests to EPA to withdraw the data from EPA's database (i.e., the Toxics Release Inventory Processing System (TRIPS)) and public versions of the database (e.g., Envirofacts and TRI Explorer) for a form that was previously submitted. If EPA withdraws the submission, the chemical release record will be permanently deleted from the public databases and cannot be restored afterwards.
Some specific types of form revisions require a withdrawal of the facility’s submission. For example, if a facility wishes to change the chemical name and CAS number of a previously certified report, they must first withdraw the submission that has the incorrect chemical name and then prepare a new report with the correct chemical name and CAS number associated with it. For only this type of revision, a withdrawal and subsequent revision of a chemical name and CAS number on a TRI form will result in the loss of the original submission date.
In order to have a submission deleted from the TRI database, facilities must use TRI-MEweb to submit their withdrawal request to EPA and the appropriate state/tribal agency. To submit a TRI form withdrawal request, enter the “Form Submitted” section to select the form you would like to be withdrawn. You can also provide optional information for ...